Service Hours

Every Mercyhurst Preparatory School graduate will have completed at least 100 hours of service in the community. Annually, a minimum of 25 service must be completed no later than March 31. Doing appropriate service, properly entering in the hours to the student’s X2VOL (Naviance) account, and having all necessary verification information will ensure that a student earns a passing grade. Questions about service can be sent by e-mail to mpsservice@students.mpslakers.com.

Service Requirements

Your service may be done for any non-profit organization whose mission coheres with our Catholic Mercy identity. Students are required to complete at least 70% of their total hours doing the works of mercy* or directly relating to the Critical Concerns** of the Sisters of Mercy. The remaining 30% of their hours may be completed at any registered non-profit.  A non-profit has tax-free status and has an IRS 501(c)(3) number.  Non-profits usually fall into one of the following groups: arts, culture, and humanities; education; environment; health; human services; hunger and homelessness; international, foreign affairs; social justice and advocacy; religious/faith-based organizations; charities; programs for aging people; and community or school athletic programs.

  • You may not count service projects done as a class requirement.  You may not be excused from school to do your service.
  • Helping a family member is not community service unless there are extraordinary circumstances. This must be approved BEFORE you begin the service.
  • Babysitting for an individual family is and/or working without pay for a regular business cannot be counted as community service for any reason.

Looking for service opportunities? This local Erie website has information on non-profit organizations and their need for volunteer help. The Get Connected website is a great place to find the perfect service project for you in Erie: www.getconnectederie.org.

ABOUT MERCY

* There are two traditional categories for works of mercy:

  • Corporal Works of Mercy
    • Feed the hungry
    • Give drink to the thirsty
    • Shelter the homeless
    • Visit the sick and the imprisoned
    • Bury the dead
  • Spiritual Works of Mercy
    • Counseling the doubtful
    • Instructing the ignorant
    • Admonishing the sinner
    • Comforting the sorrowful
    • Forgiving injuries
    • Bearing wrongs patiently
    • Praying for the living and the dead

** There are five Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy:

  • Immigration
  • Anti-racism
  • Women
  • Nonviolence
  • Earth